Prompt, Aggressive Representation

Serving Harnett County Since 1969

Photo of Professionals at Hayes, Williams, Turner & Daughtry, P.A.

Compensation after a car crash

On Behalf of | Jan 6, 2023 | Car Accidents |

If another party is responsible for causing an accident, you may have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. A number of parties may be liable including the other driver in the crash, the vehicle manufacturer or agency responsible for maintaining the North Carolina road where the wreck occurred. These parties may be liable for various damages such as medical bills, lost wages or other losses incurred in the crash.

Actual damages

Actual damages are losses that you have already incurred such as the cost of seeking treatment after the crash. Any wages lost while recovering from your injuries may also be included in a personal injury settlement. If you have incurred vehicle repair costs, those would also likely be a part of any financial award that you receive.

Lost future earnings

If you are not able to remain employed because of a concussion, bad back or other motor vehicle accident injuries, the defendant might be liable for your lost future earnings. Your age, level of education and other factors will typically be used to determine how much you might have made if not for the accident.

Other costs

Accident injuries may make it impossible to complete tasks such as mowing your lawn or getting groceries. You may also need to refurbish your home or car to make them easier to use. The person or entity liable for causing the crash that led to those injuries may have to pay a personal assistant or pay for the cost of reconfiguring your home or car.

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident in North Carolina, you have up to three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. The clock may toll if you were incapacitated after the crash or were a minor when it occurred. Your ability to obtain compensation may be limited if you fail to take action within the time allotted by law.


FindLaw Network