Prompt, Aggressive Representation

Serving Harnett County Since 1969

Photo of Professionals at Hayes, Williams, Turner & Daughtry, P.A.

Divorcing in North Carolina with adopted children

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2017 | Family Law |

Getting a divorce when you have children is always a difficult and emotional experience. When your children are adopted, divorce can create even more emotional baggage. Feelings of guilt and anxiety tend to worsen for divorcing parents who have adopted children. While it is admirable to care enough for your kids that you worry over even the tiniest detail, it can backfire on you and on your family.

In our North Carolina family law practice, we understand the heightened emotions that surround divorcing with adopted kids. We know that you and your co-parent are concerned about making sure your children always feel loved. This is especially so if your kids have a troubled past. With that goal in mind, here are a few important tips for getting a divorce with adopted kids.

Be predictable: This will help your children transition into child custody and residential changes more smoothly. It is also important to establish and maintain a routine to minimize the impact on your kids.

Offer reassurance: Make sure your kids understand that the divorce has nothing to do with them or their behavior. Help them understand that you and your co-parent will not abandon them during or after the divorce.

Remain committed: Chances are that when you and your co-spouse adopted your kids, you made a shared commitment to care for them mentally and emotionally. Continue addressing these goals during your divorce and after its completion.

Live a happy life: Show your children that happiness does not disappear along with a marriage. This will empower them to feel secure in the new family dynamic and help them enjoy their lives fully.

If you have additional concerns about divorce or need advice about child support and custody, please visit our website. We offer information about family law issues specific to North Carolina.


FindLaw Network